I’m a Texas tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Texas tenant eviction rights?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are a Texas tenant and have been given a notice to vacate, you can try to negotiate with your landlord, move out, or wait until you receive service (notice that you are being sued) of the forcible detainer lawsuit, and then present your argument for why you should not be evicted at the hearing indicated in the service. In some Justice of the Peace jurisdictions, you may have to appear by mail or by phone before the date of the hearing to deny the landlord’s claims. You should contact your local Justice of the Peace to find out whether you have to do this. You will have to appear on the date of the hearing to present your side of the story.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Texas evictions lawyer, either to give you sound advice, help you defend against the eviction, or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice and the forcible detainer action.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption