I’m a New Hampshire landlord with a difficult tenant. I’ve given the tenant the proper New Hampshire termination notice, but he still won’t leave. What next? What is the New Hampshire eviction process?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are a New Hampshire landlord who has given your tenant notice that the lease is terminating but the tenant still won’t leave, you will now have to file for eviction. Go to your local district court and file the necessary papers. For more information on this process, see the “Getting Help” section in our New Hampshire Evictions article. You will then have to serve these papers on your tenant, who will have to answer your complaint by a return date indicated on the summons.

You and your tenant will receive a hearing date on which you will come to court and argue your sides in front of a judge. The judge will rule for one of you. If you win, the tenant will have 7 days to appeal the decision. At the end of this appeal period, the court will issue you a writ of possession which gives you the right to possession of the property. This will allow the local sheriff to assist you in retaking the premises. Do not try to remove the tenant from your property yourself, as you may be liable for damages if you do. If you don’t have the time or energy to handle the eviction process alone, you can always seek out an experienced New Hampshire evictions attorney to help you along the way.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption