I’m a Michigan landlord with a difficult tenant. I’ve given the tenant the proper Michigan termination notice, but he still won’t leave. What next? What is the Michigan eviction process?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you have properly notified your tenant according to the available Michigan termination notices, but the tenant still will not leave or comply with the notice, you can file a Summary Proceedings eviction action against that tenant. You must wait for the 24 hours, 7 days, or 30 days required by the kind of notice you gave before filing suit. To begin the suit, you’ll have to file paperwork with the proper district court, which will generally provide you with pre-approved court forms if you request them. If you do not use the pre-approved forms, or if at any time during the process you are unsure of how to handle certain procedures, you should seek the services of an experienced Michigan evictions attorney. All paperwork must be properly filled out and delivered to both the court and your tenant to successfully file suit. You (or the tenant) can request a jury for a fee. Otherwise, the judge will decide your suit. If you win, you can request an order of eviction after ten days (this leaves the tenant time to appeal), but if the tenant refuses to leave after that, you still can’t physically remove him or her. Only by order of the judge can the tenant be forced out, and even then, only by a sheriff.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption