Im a customer that was injured and now the party responsible wont return my phone calls or take responsibility. What can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Im a customer that was injured and now the party responsible wont return my phone calls or take responsibility. What can I do?

How do I make Krispy Kreme on 16th street
take responsibility for burns and sprained hand.
Im losing days of work productivity and now
have a ER bill to pay. They wont return my

Asked on June 26, 2018 under Personal Injury, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Assuming the store was at fault in causing your injury (see below), your recourse would be to sue them for the money: that's the only way to get compnsation if they won't voluntarily provide any. If suing only for economic losses (ER bills, lost wages), you would not need an expert witness and could likely represent yourself in small claims court as your own attorney or "pro se."
If suing also for "pain and suffering" for disability or life-impairment from the injuries, you'd need a medical expert witness (e.g. a doctor) to testify about the injuries and prognosis. Howing one could cost hundreds or even thousands  (e.g. $1,500 - $2,500) of dollars and you can't recover that cost from the other side--you have to pay the expert yourself. You'd also be advised to hire an attorney to help you.
Bear in mind that the store is only liable if they or their employee were at fault. For example: say your burns are from hot coffee, and you then sprained yourself when you jumped or fell after being burned. If the coffee urn was set up in an unstable position which is why it fell, or an employee spilled coffee on you, they would be liable. But if what happened is that you knocked a coffee pot over on yourself while you were trying to answer a phone call or text while pouring coffee, that is your fault, not the store's, and they would not be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption