I’m a Colorado tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Colorado tenant eviction rights?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are a Colorado tenant and your landlord has decided to end your tenancy, you have a few options. You have probably already been given notice to quit or a demand for compliance. If you have received a notice to quit, you will just have to wait for the 3 days to expire and for the landlord to file a “forcible entry and detainer” (eviction) action. If you have received a demand for compliance, you should try to comply with the notice. Usually this will mean paying rent that you owe or fixing a breach of the lease. If you cannot pay or do not think you have done anything wrong, you will have to wait the 3 days until the landlord files for eviction. When he or she does, you will receive a copy of the complaint and the summons which will include a “return date” to answer the complaint. Do not ignore the complaint. If you do not answer, default judgment will be entered against you and you will lose and be evicted.

If your case has reached a point where you think you might need help, you can always seek the advice of an experienced Colorado evictions lawyer. A lawyer can help you defend against the eviction and advise you as to any rights you may have regarding the notice received and the forcible entry and detainer action.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption