If I’m a 1099 employee and was hurt on the job, what can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a 1099 employee and was hurt on the job, what can I do?

I am a 1099 employee who got hurt on the job. I was a delivery driver for furniture. And i hurt my back moving a couch. I do not have insurance so I went to a chiropractor and they told me I have a slip disc and pinched nerve. I don’t know what I should do.

Asked on February 7, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were hurt due to your employer's fault--for example, unsafe conditions at work, or a lack of necessary safety equipment--you could sue your employer for having caused your injury, such as for your medical care. Or if the injury was someone else's fault, such as if you delivered the coach somewhere you tripped and got hurt because carpeting was loose or ripped, you could sue that person. But as someone paid by a 1099, if you can't show that someone else was at fault for your injury and sue them on that basis, you may not have any recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption