If I’m 17 years old and living at my moms house, do I have the right to live at my father’s house?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 17 years old and living at my moms house, do I have the right to live at my father’s house?

Both of my parents have custody; my mom just won’t allow me to.

Asked on November 20, 2011 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your Mother must have physical custody of you even though your parents have jint custody under the law.  They really do ean different things.  It is tough being caught in the middle between parents.  But in order for you to be able to leave and go and stay with your Father he has to do something in court to allow for that.  He will have to request that the court modify the postion of the agreeentndealing with physical custody and ask to alow you to go and live with him.  You will be permitted to testify and give your reasons.  Be aware that the court does not recognize things like "my mom has too many rules" or "she is too strict" or "she nags me to clean my room."  Insetad they recognize things like "I want to establish a better relationship with y Father."  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption