Illinois Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The procedure for a name change is Illinois is not as complicated as you might expect. In fact, once you find the right form, the rest is mostly a matter of filling them out and filing them in the right court. We can get you started with the following information:

What forms are required for an Illinois name change?

The State of Illinois does not have a specific name change form. Forms vary by county. For information on name changes outside of Cook County, click this Illinois Legal Aid link. For information on name changes in Cook County, click this Illinois Legal Aid link. Click on the following link and search the Illinois Compiled Statutes for more details: Illinois Compiled Statutes 735 IL 5/21-101-103

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Illinois?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live. You must have been an Illinois resident for at least six months prior to filing you petition.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court may notarize your petition for free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Illinois?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date for your hearing when you file your petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice of your petition must be published in a local newspaper at least once a week for three consecutive weeks between when you file your petition and the date for your hearing. The first day notice is published must be at least six weeks before your hearing.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption