If my car was towed from a spot with no signage stating that it was illegal to park there, how do I sue to get my money back, or recoup my money?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was towed from a spot with no signage stating that it was illegal to park there, how do I sue to get my money back, or recoup my money?

Asked on August 3, 2011 Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you can prove that your vehicle was improperly towed, you need to get your evidence in order showing such. This would include photographs of the location where the car was located just before towing, statements by witnesses who could testify that there was no signage stating parking at the location where it was towed from was illegal, videotape of the area and the towing report.

To get your money back, you have the following options:

1. Write a demand letter to the towing company and whoever reported your car being in a tow zone who requested that it be towed stating the basis for the reimbursement of your money paid to get your vehicle back with paymant to be made in a certain time period.

2. If not paid in the stated time period, you file in small claims against those that caused your car to be improperly towed. Bring your evidence as well as live witnesses and do your best.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption