What to do aboutiIllegal credit card debit card transactions regarding gambling?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do aboutiIllegal credit card debit card transactions regarding gambling?

A family member used my debit card and credit cards at a store to make it look like he was purchasing items there. However, the store was giving cash, plus charging a transacation fee to gamble in an illegal poker game at the store. Do I have recourse against the merchant, it’s merchant bank or my brother? The total debt exceeds 15k.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The answer depends upon whether you gave your brother your OK to use the card to make purchases.  If you did, and you just don't like that he used it to get cash for a poker game, you probably do not have any recourse.  If, however, he did not have your permission to use the cards at all, you have a claim against your brother for theft/conversion.  If the merchant knew that the cards did not belong to the person using them, then you may also have a claim against the merchant.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption