What can I do regarding getting my money and dealing with damages regarding the sale of my house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding getting my money and dealing with damages regarding the sale of my house?

I sold my house for $15,000. All the person gave me was $700 and a car. They were supposed to pay off my taxes of $9,000 and I was supposed to get the rest, however they didn’t give me all of my money. They also came in the house and tore the floors and walls up on the second floor without a permit. I am still living in the house and I have 2 other people living on the 3rd floor.

I’m wondering if this is a theft by deception or theft by unlawful taking? Do I have a case?

Asked on May 29, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is certainly breach of contract, if they did not do what they agreed to do (i.e. did not pay the full $15,000). You could sue them for breach of contract for the rest of the money owed under the agreement.
If you can show that there is evidence that or it strongly appears that they never intended to pay you the full amount for the house, then it might be either or both of theft (e.g. by deception) or fraud (lying about what they could or would do to get you to enter into the deal), and could potentially sue based on that, too, and also file a police report.
If you did not transfer title to them yet, so the house is still titled to you, then ripping up part of the house would also be theft (if they took what they ripped out) and/or vandalism (if they destroyed it in place), so you could sue on that basis, and again also file police reports. If title was transferred already (it is already titled in their name), then they had the right to do this as the legal owners.
So depending on the specific facts, there are several possible grounds to sue, and possible grounds to look to press charges, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption