iI was denied a job due to an 19 year old dog confinement charge….is that legal?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

iI was denied a job due to an 19 year old dog confinement charge….is that legal?

denied a job due to an 19 year old dog confinement charge

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is perfectly legal, unfortunately. Employment is employment at will in this country and your state: employers freely decide who to hire. They may refuse to hire anyone they want, for any reason not specifically prohibited by law: for example, they can't refuse to hire you due to your race, national origin, sex, age over 40, disability, or religion. However, there is no legal protection against not being hired due  to any criminal charges, tickets, or other infractions, no matter how old; they may legally decide to not hire you to due to a 19-year-old dog confinement charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption