II have a mortgage on new house that does not have a certificateof occupancy. Who is liable other than the builder/seller?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

II have a mortgage on new house that does not have a certificateof occupancy. Who is liable other than the builder/seller?

New home, never occupied. Country Wide closing instructions did not call for the CO. Seller was the “builder” that was grossly misrepresented by his realtor. Seller/Builder disclosed NO defects. W/in 30 days of moving in we discovered the house is racking and had MAJOR structural issues and major building code violations. We sued the builder and have a worthless agreed judgement. How can I get out from underneath this mortgage, and who else is responsible? What other recourse for recovery do I have?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Your claim against the builder is the strongest despite the fact that he has no money.  Did you find out if the builder had insurance?  Usually, builders have insurance when they do projects such as this and the banks that give them the loan to build the house often require the builder to have insurance for similar reasons that you are now in.  I suggest looking into the builder's insurance.  I would also look into suing the real estate agent for the builder, especially if the agent knew about the defects - i.e. the Realtor may have had a duty to speak up and/or made false statements that you can use as the basis of a fraud claim.  I suggest hiring a lawyer immediately to try to recoup money to fix your home.  You also need to get a c/o.  Your lawyer can assist you with that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption