If your attorney does not tell you your court date nor does the courts what can you do she has been jailed for failed to appear

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If your attorney does not tell you your court date nor does the courts what can you do she has been jailed for failed to appear

She was out on bond for failed to identify

Asked on February 11, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

She needs to get a new attorney if the current attorney is not properly communicating.  Lack of notice and poor communication can be a defense to prosecution (by the court or the attorney).  If she cannot afford an attorney, she should request the court to appoint her a new attorney on the basis of her attorney failing to effectively communicate with her which has not resulted in a harm, specifically her rearrest.  She can also file a grievance with the state bar.  I'm not a "grievance happy" person... but in this case, the failure to notify caused a harm.  It impacted her case and it makes her look bad to the judge.  Some judges will not let people off for "mere bad communication" styles, but if she grieves the attorney, the attorney may push the issue a bit more and request removal and more actively back your granddaughter in being assigned a new attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption