If your 24 year old lives with you, doyou have to have health insurance on them?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If your 24 year old lives with you, doyou have to have health insurance on them?

My son moved back and works part-time. His mother informed him that if he is living with me I have to have him on my insurance until he is 28?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Insurance Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, no. The new health care law *allows* parents to insurer their children under some circumstances into their adulthood--but only until age 26, not 28, I believe--but does not require it.

The above said, if the terms of your child custody, divorce, etc. agreements or decrees required you to pay for his health insurance until age 28, then you would have to do so--those terms would be enforceable. As a practical matter, you might need to reimburse him for his own insurance, if he doesn't meet the conditions to be on your insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption