If you receive acknowledgement of notice to vacate and the amounts are incorrect, does that document stand?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you receive acknowledgement of notice to vacate and the amounts are incorrect, does that document stand?

Is a Acknowledgement of Notice to Vacate a legal standing document? I was given a form after deciding to move that stated that I didn’t have to pay back any concessions ever though I received one. When I went to pay for the lease term fee they stated other wise. Do I have legal ground to stand on?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The only time a document has any real binding effect concerning the dispute that you have written about is when you and the former landlord have both signed a document stating the amount owed concerning the notice to vacate. When the document is signed by the both of you, it becomes a binding agreement.

If you disagree with the amount states in the form, then you have the right to contest the figure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption