Ifyou live inone state and get aDUI inanother state,do you have to be there and personally appear in court for sentencing?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifyou live inone state and get aDUI inanother state,do you have to be there and personally appear in court for sentencing?

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, the court prefers that you as the defendant appear before them for the matter that is pending in their court.They are funny that way.  If you d not appear they may issue a warrant for your arrest.  Not a good scenario.  But if you have an attorney that is appearing for you in the preliminary stages he may be able to ask on your behalf, although I really highly doubt that the court will allow you not to be present. If you are pleading out to a lesser offense or taking a deal the court will ask that you allocute on the record as to your understanding of what is happening.  So I would plan a road trip.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption