If you have to travel to another state for work, does the company have to pay you from the moment you leave the house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you have to travel to another state for work, does the company have to pay you from the moment you leave the house?

The job is a 28 days on 14 day off rotation.
They provide the airfare but there has been talk
of making us pay for out own rental from the
airport to the jobsite which may not be

Asked on February 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) They don't have to pay you 24/7 when you are in another state. They need to pay you for the hours you actually work (i.e. are not eating non-business meals, resting, shopping, sleeping, recreation, etc.) and for the time spent traveling to/from the other state.
2) It would be legal to require you to pay for your own car rental(s) and then reimburse you--or even to simply make you absorb this cost and not reimburse you--though they need to tell you what they are doing before you spend the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption