If you have a mortgage agreement with a property owner can you still be evicted as being a renter?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you have a mortgage agreement with a property owner can you still be evicted as being a renter?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  What is your mortgage agreement "rent-to-own"?  If so, and you don't have a mortgage but a lease, then whatever your lease is a portion goes to a down-payment?

Some of these rent-to-owns are scams that are just that -- the property owner does a rent to own with you and never takes your money to pay the outstanding loan and then evicts you.  It can be a complicated system in place.  Ultimately, you need to have your state Attorney General's office review your exact contractual agreement and then you can see if you could be lawfully convicted.

Try http://www.ag.state.la.us/.


Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption