If you have a DUI on your record can you be a Registered Nurse in Florida?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you have a DUI on your record can you be a Registered Nurse in Florida?

My daughter has been charged with a DUI and is about to apply to nursing school but she heard is she is convicted she can not be a nurse, is it true?

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


John Marshall

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's not possible in all type of cases. If your daughter did this crime at her younger age and the kind of the case is misdemeanor, only then she will be able to apply for the post of nurse at california. Although the nursing board may also check about your daughter DUI case by case and if they find the case is misdemenaor, they were having no prob to give license to your daughter. And if you also want to know more then this blog is specially for you:   http://www.defendca.com/blog/how-will-a-dui-felony-or-misdemeanor-affect-my-nursing-licence/

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

All misdemeanors and felonies, including DUI, must be listed on the application for obtaining a state nursing license in Florida.  Each application is handled on a case-by-case basis.  They will look at the nature and severity of the crime, how recently was it committed, was it a repeat offense and other factors.

If this was your daughter's first offense and if she was of a young age at the time, that will be helpful.

I have provided a link to the application:


Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption