If you find money on a casino floor and don’t turn it in right a way, can they arrest you?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you find money on a casino floor and don’t turn it in right a way, can they arrest you?

We were going to turn in the money when we left because it was $500. We had just gotten there and wanted to play. Then about 2 hours later we got hauled into their office and were told that we were being arrested “detained” and took my money as well as the money we found; they and didn’t give us a receipt. Also, a male searched my pockets which I felt was inappropriate because I’m a woman and he ran his fingers across my rear. What can I do?

Asked on December 23, 2011 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you found money on the casino floor that was not yours, you should have immediately turned it in to the casino's security. Possibly criminal charges may result against you from what you have written.

You were obviously detained by casino security. If you were not cited or given to law enforcement no criminal charges known to date have resulted, but some may occur later. In the interim, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney over what happened as a preventitive measure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption