If you file for a joint custody/uncontested divorce, does one party have to be ordered to pay child support?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you file for a joint custody/uncontested divorce, does one party have to be ordered to pay child support?

My husband has filed a petition for an uncontested divorce and in the petition states that we will share parent responsibilities however it still states that the child will have his primary address and I will be required to pay child support that we agree on. If this is so, will it be court mandated? We agreed to handle things between ourselves.

Asked on August 29, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Child support is generally determined by the state laws in which you live.  There are child support worksheets that courts use to simplify trying to decipher the statutes that apply.  Both incomes are used to determine child support and then percentages are given.  The party that is the custodial parents is thought to have more need for the money on a day to day basis to support the needs of the child.  Now, I think that a red flag has gone up here and you need to realize that you need a lawyer.  Even if you hire one just to review the agreement and let you know what your rights are under the law.  If you have signed the paperwork the court will "so order" it, meaning that it will be mandated if reasonable.  So get help.  NOW.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption