If you do not recieve a product that you put a deposit on, what can you do to get your deposit back?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you do not recieve a product that you put a deposit on, what can you do to get your deposit back?

We put down a deposit for a product that was stolen while still in the owner’s possession. we were offered a similar product for a discounted rate which the owner asked us to give her a answer before the deadline she set. I tried but she wouldn’t answer the phone nor her text. When I finally was able to contact her she had sold the product. Now she is refusing to return the deposit and clams she is filing harassment on me and my husband for trying to contact her on this matter. She also clams that because we considered the similar product we at that time forfeited the deposit. What can I do?

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Business Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her for the return of the deposit. When a seller cannot provide the product which the buyer has ordered, the contract for sale (whether written or oral) is void due to impossibility. When that happens, the seller must return any deposit. Whether it is cost effective to bring a lawsuit to recover the deposit will depend on how much is at stake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption