If you didn’t sign a lease, can you be evicted without notice?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you didn’t sign a lease, can you be evicted without notice?

I pay my rent to the lady that owns my house. A different lady owns the lot. The lady who owns the lot wants my landlord to evict me. Can she do so without a court order?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In every situation in this country to evict someone as a tenant proper process must be done by the landlord. Typically a 30 day termination is served upon the tenant or a 3 day notice to pay or quit the rental.

The owner of the lot where the presumed mobile home is located is required to evict her tenant (the lady that owns the unit that you live in). If that happens, you will be served with the eviction notice since you are in possession of the unit being rented even though you are not in contract with the owner of the lot. I suggest that you may want to consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption