If you are a independent contractor and a company refuses to pay you for the past month of work, what can you do?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you are a independent contractor and a company refuses to pay you for the past month of work, what can you do?

I have done outside homebased sales work for a company for approximately 2 years and today was told that they would not pay me for the past month of work because they did not like the work I was doing. They refuse to pay me for phone service (contracted to pay it each month). Also, they have disabled my access to their database. They will not allow me access to check and verify my sales.

Asked on August 3, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that it is time for you to seek help from an attorney on this matter.  You have an independent contractor agreement?  It states what you are entitled to?  Have it read.  It really sounds as if you may be getting the ax so you need to see what your options are here under the agreement.  You can also try and file a complaint with the Department of Labor but I do not know how far that will get you.  You are looking at a lawsuit but it is good to know if you have any rights under a breach of contract claim rather than just a small claims suit for the lost wages.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption