If you a in a rental lease and you change jobs which moves you to a different state, can they hold you to a lease?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you a in a rental lease and you change jobs which moves you to a different state, can they hold you to a lease?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Micah Longo / The Longo Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A rental lease is based in contract law.  If you fail to comply with the terms of your agreement (i.e. stop paying rent), then you are in breach.  

Once in breach, the Landlord can sue you, but they would have to perfect service, get a judgment, and then collect on the judgment.  This could be difficult since you are in another state.

My advise would be to give notice to your landlord and try to work something out.  On one hand, he right thing to do would be to pay way you agreed to pay; on the other hand, your situation has changed; I ask the landlord to be released from the lease.  

If the landlord does agree to release you; get it in writting and save that writting for the next 10 years.  If you have questions, please contact me for a free consultation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption