If we signed a lease and gave rent/deposit and rent without viewing the actual apartment, if it has roaches can we get our money back?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we signed a lease and gave rent/deposit and rent without viewing the actual apartment, if it has roaches can we get our money back?

We discovered there were roaches before moving our furniture in. Can we break the lease and a refund seeing as we can’t move in now due to our children having asthma and the roaches inflamming it? We have tried bombing and spraying. We called an exterminator but the office told us that it would take 6 months to a year to even begin to get rid of the roaches.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding apartment leases and roaches.  As with any kind of written contract, the terms of terminating the contract are often found within the contract itself.  In your case, the written contract would be your lease.  There may be a clause within your lease dealing with pest infestation.  Along with the terms of your lease, there is always a discrepancy as to why the roaches are there.  If you have not moved in at all and did not move any of your furniture in, then it will be easier to show that the roaches were there prior to you moving there.

You may also check your lease to see what you may have agreed to by giving a deposit and signing the lease.  If the terms state that you have accepted the conditions by signing the document, then you may have a couple extra hurdles. 

However, there is a phrase called, “constructed eviction” used in real estate law.  This occurs when the conditions are so bad in the rented space that you cannot live there, and it is treated as if the landlord evicted you.  In most states, in order to state that there was a constructed eviction you must have given notice to your landlord about the problem, allowed the landlord to fix the problem, and then make sure you have no property left in the rental space. 

If your landlord does not refund your money (given that you have checked your lease to see if it addresses this issue), then you may want to contact a real estate attorney in your area to further assist you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption