If the victim is involved in an auto accident and died a few hours later in the hospital because of negligence is there a case for pain & suffering

UPDATED: May 20, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the victim is involved in an auto accident and died a few hours later in the hospital because of negligence is there a case for pain & suffering

the victim is my 21 year old son .he was driving home when he was hit by a drunken driver. my son was a college student and living in our home my son was treated for head and back injuries in the emergency room. meanwhile it was later confirmed that he had a small cut in his aorta.he had internal bleeding and it was more than 2 hours later before they realized their error. they brought him up to the operating room but it was too late, he was pronounced dead a half hour later.I filed for medical malpractice and pain and suffering but I have about a little over a month to prosecute the case.

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Malpractice Law, New York


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should really get an experienced malpractice attorney on the case for you, as soon as possible.  One place to look for a lawyer in your area is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Your case is for medical malpractice and wrongful death and yes, if you can prove your case, there should be damages for pain and suffering included in the verdict.

The reason that you need a lawyer for this is because medical malpractice is a specialized area, and almost always requires expert testimony.  The basic question is usually, did the doctor or the hospital fail to follow the standard of care for the patient, and exactly what that standard of care is, is not something you can pull out of a book.  In the facts that you've given, for instance, you would need to prove that, based on your son's visible injuries and whatever other symptoms there were, symptoms that they knew about or should have known if they were doing things right, they should have discovered the internal bleeding sooner -- and you would also have to prove that if they had discovered it when they should have, your son probably would have lived.  And that is really a simplified statement of the case!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption