If the surviving grantor remarries, how does that affect the trust?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the surviving grantor remarries, how does that affect the trust?

If surviving grantor doesn’t put all assets in trust as stipulated by trust and remarries, can beneficiaries of the trust force grantor to comply? They haven’t been communicating with me as cotrustee either. They wont provide tax, rental or expense documents, nor open acct in the name of the trust to manage property income and expenses. This was a second marriage with step-children on both sides.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Honestly, this question sounds very complicated to give guidance in this type of forum.  Assets not placed in a trsut by the grantor can sometimes be placed after death through a pour over Will or under state law.  But if the asset does not exist at the time of death then it is not part of the estate and I think that you are worried about that issue.  Take the documents that you have to an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption