If the police officer wrote a ticket out in the wrong name, is that grounds to dismiss?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the police officer wrote a ticket out in the wrong name, is that grounds to dismiss?

My son-in-law was in an accident and the officer issued a ticket for a disobeyed traffic signal. My son-in-law is hearing impared and did not here his question, so was issued a ticket even though he had the green light. The car is registered in my son’s name and my son-in-law gave his license, however the officer wrote the ticket out to my son who was at work and even the exchange information he has my son’s name on it.

Asked on January 10, 2017 under General Practice, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a genral rule, a clerical error such putting the wrong name on a traffic ticket is not sufficient enough cause to dismiss a case. Such a mistake, however, will be corrected by the judge, so the case will not be dismissed. one in court, your son-in-law can explain the events surrounding the traffic incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption