If the police came into my home, removed marijuanna paraphanaila (spelling??), did not give ticket but year later I have a warrent. Is that lawful?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the police came into my home, removed marijuanna paraphanaila (spelling??), did not give ticket but year later I have a warrent. Is that lawful?

The police came into my house, removed the stuff, and I did not get a ticket, never got anything in the mail saying they were filing charges, never had a court date, but now I failed a background check and after chasing this down for a month they say I have a warrant. Should I not have had the chance to go to court or atleast known that I had charges against me. I did not ever get a chance to pay a fine or anything.

Asked on April 23, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

They may have issued you a ticket by mail, but it got lost and then turned into a ticket.  Why did the police come into your home in the first place? Was it a part of a search warrant or domestic call and paraphanalia was found in plain sight or during the search.

You need to contact private counsel to search the history (the how did this happen and come to this), help you resolve it and then try to have it expunged from your record (so you don't fail a background search).  Word to the wise -- stay away from the drugs -- honestly not gonna do you any good.  Try www.attorneypages.com and Texas State Bar to locate a private criminal defense attorney (especially one with experience in your situation).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption