If the other motorist is 100% responsible for the accident and the damage to my vehicle, do I owe him anything if I left the scene?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the other motorist is 100% responsible for the accident and the damage to my vehicle, do I owe him anything if I left the scene?

He wants me to pay the damages of his car. Is he able to make me do that? Is that acceptable? I feel like he is kind of bribing/ manipulating me, because he can hang the whole hit and run thing over my head. But if the accident was 100% not my fault, could I still be prosecuted, for leaving the scene?

Asked on July 29, 2011 Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are not in a good position here.  Yes, leaving the scene of an accident is a crime whether or not you are the party at fault.  And whatwould you not want a police report that states that you are NOT the party at fault? Did you report the accident to your insurance company? You need to asap if they are going to disclaim coverage and not defend you if the other person sues.  Please go and seek legal help with this matter as soon as you can.  You need to find witnesses to the accident to support your story.  You need to file a police report and you need a mouthpiece to go with you to run interference about the leaving the scene.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption