If the family is responsible to pay for their parent’s bills after they passed away

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the family is responsible to pay for their parent’s bills after they passed away

We just received a letter from her apartment requesting for additional monies. We vacated and cleaned her apartment and the manager told us that we will receive her deposit since only a few
things needed to be done to the apartment. Yesterday, we received a letter from the Cambridge regional office that they want us to pay over 500.00 for additional rent. We are not on any rental agreement or she had no power of attorney or guardianship.

My question and hope you can help us, are we responsible to pay this bill even if we are not on any of her account.

Asked on January 20, 2017 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you are personally NOT liable for your parent's bills if you were not on the lease, had not guaranteed her obligation, etc. They *could* seek it from her estate: if there was any money, etc. left behind by your parent, any amounts or debts she owed at time of death should be paid from it, before the remainder is inherited by you; but if there is no money in the estate, they cannot get it from you personally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption