If the executor of a an estate lives 1,200 miles away, are they compensated for air-travel and hotel expense?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the executor of a an estate lives 1,200 miles away, are they compensated for air-travel and hotel expense?

Would this expense be in addition the the percentage awarded under the UCC in MN? Should this be included in the Will?

Asked on January 5, 2012 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I can not tell if you are doing some estate planning or if the executor is already appointed.  If you are doing some estate planning you may want to name co-executors and one that is in state to avoid travel expenses.  Yes, the executor would be reimbursed from the estate.  Also double check that your state allows out of state executors and if yes, is there a caveat (like Florida which requires an in state person for service of papers).  Yes, the expenses are separate from the fee for sitting as executor.  And it is always best to spell things out clearly in the Will so that no one else balks when you are gone.  Please see a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption