If the date is wrong on the lease and we do not like the place we live can we leave on the date it has ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the date is wrong on the lease and we do not like the place we live can we leave on the date it has ?

Our move out date is in May , but the lease
was supposed to be for a year . If we leave in
May , it would only had of been for 4 months

Asked on February 6, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If there is something else in the lease stating that it is a one-year lease, then it is very likely you can move out after one year: in that case, since one-year leases are common and there is a contradiction in the lease itself as to duration, a court would likely find that it was intended to be one-year lease and the printed date was a typo--and courts can "reform" leases to correct typos.
But if the only indicia of duration is the date and there is nothing in the lease itself contradicting it, then that date will be held to be the expiration date. When contract (and a lease is a contract) is clear and unambiguous on its face, courts wll enforce it as written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption