If the court did not put the correct address in the court papers, do I still have rights to the house?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the court did not put the correct address in the court papers, do I still have rights to the house?

In my divorce I was granted full possession of our house. My ex-husband took me back to court lied and the judge gave the house back to him but when I read the paperwork the judge put the wrong address, so does that mean that I still have the rights to the house? Wouldn’t he have to go back to court to fix this?

Asked on July 29, 2019 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he needs to go back to court and correct this, BUT he will be able to do so: courts will readily and promptly correct what are obviously "typographic" errors (e.g. entering the wrong address). So rather than stand on this and waste time and money litigating what is a foregone conclusion, unless you have more substantive grounds (see below) to oppose or appeal the order, you'd be better off complying. 
You claim in your question that your ex lied to get the house: if you believe you can substantiate or prove that, challenge the order or ruling on that basis, not an error in the address. How to challenge it depends on the timing, where exactly you are in litigation--given that a house is at stake, consult with an attorney about how best to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption