If a cop forgot to have me sign a citation that they issued to me, is there anyway I could fight it or get out of it?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a cop forgot to have me sign a citation that they issued to me, is there anyway I could fight it or get out of it?

I’m 19 and was at a concert cleaning up about to go in when an undercover cop stopped and asked us all for IDs. I was honest and said I had 1 mixed drink. He gave me a citation for underage possession of alcohol and mandatory court appearance. The other two people next to me had to sign their citations but I was never asked. Could I fight that or don’t bother to?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are a number of defenses available to you.  However, the fact that you did not sign the citation, is not one of them. I would not waste my time with the missing signature defense. 

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption