If the amounts are added wrong on my residential real estate agreement, can the seller be legally held to those terms?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the amounts are added wrong on my residential real estate agreement, can the seller be legally held to those terms?

Line 43 of my real estate sale agreement was not added correctly by the seller. They did not fix the balance of the purchase price after the final offer was made and accepted by the seller. Is this something that I can legally hold them to since it has already been singed by the seller?

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


Johnny Hall / Law Office of Johnny D. Hall, Attorney at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have what appears to be a mistake and if you took this to court, the judge would want to know the intent of the parties.  If this is a simple miscalculation and the correct price can calculated from the figures depicted on your contract, then I would not spend time and money on trying to enforce the miscalculation.  However, if sales price negotiations were contentious AND you intend to take the witness stand and swear that the miscalculated figure is the final and mutually agreed figure, then you may want to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.  I practice in New York.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption