If the ac unit in the house I sold stopped working am I liable to pay for a replacement?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the ac unit in the house I sold stopped working am I liable to pay for a replacement?

I recently sold my house and it closed. The Ac
unit stopped working and the buyer is trying to
claim I knew it wasnt working and still didnt
get it fixed or told them. They now are trying to
say the have to pay for a replacement unit.

Asked on August 14, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They issue is, did you know--or have logical reason to know (e.g. it had problems in the past and seemed to not be fully fixed)--that it would stop working but fail to disclose that? If you were aware of A/C problems but did not tell the buyer, that is technically fraud and you would be liable. But if you did not know and had no reason to know, you would be, since in that event, you did nothing wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption