If spouses never seperate after a divorce is granted, is the divorce still in affect?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If spouses never seperate after a divorce is granted, is the divorce still in affect?

My wife/ex-wife,and I never lived apart after the final resolution was granted (which I didn’t know about). It was granted 6 months ago. We have been living together and our relationship has been one of a married couple. About 3 weeks ago she was arrested for armed robbery. Of course, she was awarded custody of our kids. So I need to know what my status is and what I need to do to protect my kids and myself.

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

When yosay that she was "awarded custody" what do you mean?  Physical custod or sole custody?  They are different things.  But regardless you need to go back to court and file an emergency petition to obtain sole custody at least temporarily.  The issue of your marriage is not as pressing and since Oklahoma does not recognize common law you are not legally married anymore.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption