If something on my property was damaged by a vandal is it the tenant’s or landlord’s responsibility to fix it?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If something on my property was damaged by a vandal is it the tenant’s or landlord’s responsibility to fix it?

My door was kicked in while I was out of town. My landlord notified of what happened and wanted me to pay for the door to be replaced. Nowhere in the lease does it state I am liable for these repairs.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming the facts are as you state and this is truly a case of vandalism, then the landlord is required to make a repair of this nature. Unless your landlord proves otherwise, they should pay to have this fixed without passing the cost on to you. Clearly you were not at fault for the damage.  Additionally, your landlord's insurance should cover the cost of replacing the door. 

Note:  This assumes that there is no provision in your contract to the contrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption