If someones license were suspended one state, can they obtain one in another?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someones license were suspended one state, can they obtain one in another?

My sister was killed in a car acciedent; she was the passanger of the vehicle. The driver was convicted.and sentenced to jail time and a suspension of her driver’s license for several years. She then moved to another state and went and got a driver’s license there. How is that possible do to her charges which were brought in a DLC state? I really couldnt believe this monster got her driver’s license. She probably never revealed that she had a suspension and she slipped right threw a loopole.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Accident Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The sad thing about the matter that you have written about is that the crime occurred in one particular state where the woman who was driving the car lost her license in the state where the accident happened for several years. The reason she was able to get a driver's license in another state is because the offense did not occur in that state.

Each state in this country is separate and independent of each other.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption