If someone works for a college and got arrested for misdemeanor, should they tell the college that they got the arrested?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone works for a college and got arrested for misdemeanor, should they tell the college that they got the arrested?

The charge is resisting arrest without violence. The person hasn’t went to court yet, but wants to know if they should tell because they don’t want to hide the information. They feel like if they do tell they might get fired because they work for the state.

Asked on July 27, 2011 Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is no general law requiring the reporting of arrests, criminal convictions, etc. Certainly, there are certain types of criminal records which may have to be reported to certain types of employers--e.g. sexual crimes, in the case of jobs at schools or involving child contact; financial crimes for certain jobs in the security or banking industry; crimes involving moral turpitude for attorneys--but generally, no there is no requirement to report the information. If there is an employment agreement or other condition of employment (e.g. set out in an employee handbook) requiring that arrests be reported, that would be a different matter, since an employer could require the disclosure of this information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption