If someone who was temporarily staying in your home steals over $1000 worth of stuff, what can you do?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone who was temporarily staying in your home steals over $1000 worth of stuff, what can you do?

If someone who was staying at your residence temporarily for a month steals from you: 1. What do you need to prove it was him? Are witnesses, serial codes for the items, fingerprints enough? 2. If he is proven to have stolen the items what am I entitled to if the items have already be sold (i.e. sold on the street where recovery is impossible)?

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that needs to be done is to make a police report about the theft of the articles by the person who was temporarily living in your home as well as make an inventory for what was taken.

After the police take the report, it is up to the district attorney's office to review it and decide whether or not to file charges against the person who was staying in your home.

It is important to get the names of witnesses who saw what happened and provide law enforcement with as detailed descriptions as to what was taken such as serial numbers and photographs.

If the person is charged and convicted of the theft, the court can order restitution to be paid to you as the victim of the fair market value of the items taken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption