if someone shoplifts in a different county than which they live. Can they be picked up in their home county?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if someone shoplifts in a different county than which they live. Can they be picked up in their home county?


Asked on January 26, 2019 under Criminal Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Of course they can be arrested in a different county. Otherwise, virtually everyone could commit a crime knowing that if they could get out of the county they could not be arrested. As for who can conduct the arrest, a police officer, deputy sheriff, state trooper, or highway patrol officer are all officers of the state. They typically have their full powers anywhere in the state at anytime. This is true even if they are off-duty. However, as a general rule an officer typically doesn't go more than a few miles outside their jurisdiction. They would probably just hold you there and call the local authorities, although they he could put the suspect in their own vehicle and drive them to the local jail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption