If someone makes a false police report against me does that automatically mean I will have a warrant for my arrest?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone makes a false police report against me does that automatically mean I will have a warrant for my arrest?

I called my aunts Dr and
reported that she was selling
her medication. She found out
I reported her so she went and
filed a false police report
saying that I stole them. I
haven’t seen my aunt in almost
3 months. I need to know if I
will have a warrant for my
arrest since she made a police
I didn’t take anything from her
and I could take a polygraph
test to prove I didn’t steal
her meds and also to prove that
she does sell her medication

Asked on January 19, 2017 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a report can provide a basis to serve a summons on or even arrest someone. Remember: while the police may do *some* investigation to corroborate the report prior to acting, such as interviewing other persons who may not have information, or discussing the matter with you, they only have to believe that there is "probable cause," or reasonable grounds, to think a crime was committed; it does not, for example, have to proved "beyond a reasonable doubt" at this stage. That probably cause could potentially be supplied simply by your aunt's report, if she is credible (believeable) enough.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption