If someone leaves their personal property in my garage, can I dispose of it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone leaves their personal property in my garage, can I dispose of it?

My boyfriend was living with me rent free and unemployed. He left to go to another state where I

learned he was seeing several other woman. I want all of his stuff out of my possession. Can I

dispose of it now or is they’re a certain length of time I have to wait before that is legal?

Asked on August 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Send him a letter, sent some way you can prove delivery (or an email or text, if you don't have a physical address) stating that he has 30 days to arrange for his belongings to be removed or else you will consider them abandoned and dispose of them. Send him another reminder at 15 days. (Best is you can send him the messsae multiple ways.) If he arranges to retrieve them, let him have them; if he tells you he doesn't want them or simply does not respond at all when you can prove you contacted him, you should be able to safely dispose of his items.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption