If someone is 2 years behind in making their house payments, can foreclosure be stopped ?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone is 2 years behind in making their house payments, can foreclosure be stopped ?

Asked on November 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sometimes the foreclosure can be stopped within, I believe, 3 years of the mortgage being taken out if certain misrepresentations or omissions--providing false or no information as to certain things--can be shown in the mortgage paperwork; this is drawing on the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and its implementing regulations.

A foreclosure can also be be stopped, or at least stayed for some number of months or, sometimes, years, by filing for bankruptcy.

If you are a homeowner looking to stop foreclosure, there are lawyers who specialize in this. You should consult with one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption