If someone is charged for a misdimeanor crime while on parole and is violated will he/she definitely serve time or are there other alternatives?

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone is charged for a misdimeanor crime while on parole and is violated will he/she definitely serve time or are there other alternatives?

What are the possible outcomes of a violation of parole? If the person being accused has proof that they were not at the scene of the crime what happens then will the judge listen to the other side of the story… a friend of mine was charged with 3rd degree assault but did not do it but there are people who made a report that he did…although he was home with his mother at the time…so how can they take one persons word over another can anyone who gets angry at someone just accuse them of something and they have to serve time for that…that doesn’t seem fair.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There are multiple possible alternatives.  There will be a hearing but even an arrest can be enough to trigger incarceration pending a parole violation and a parole hold is non bailable.  There are civil causes of action (suing for money damages) and crimes that apply to wrongful prosecution so no, people can't just going around falsely accusing.  Your friend's parole may be continued even if he is convicted or takes a plea to a lesser offense (harassment or disorderly conduct); it depends on how seriously the judge interprets his conduct to be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption