If someone hit me my body with their car can I sue their insurance ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone hit me my body with their car can I sue their insurance ?

There was a brief disagreement in a
meijers parking lot the woman followed
me to my parking space and after I got
out of my car hit me with hers. It is on
video. I’ve experienced contusion in my
hand and after anxiety which now I’m on
medication for my nervousness. Is there
any course of action outside of pressing
charges which I’ve done already

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since the woman appears to have acted intentionally in striking you with her car, her insurance company will deny liability because auto insurance is applicable for negligent acts, not intentional acts.
You can sue her for assault and battery.  You can seek compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and wage loss. 
Since this was an intentional act, you can seek punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish the wrongful act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption